As one year turns to the next, industry experts predict key movements and trends to look out for on the world’s mobile scene.
The GSMA released their Global Mobile Trends report, forecasting an age of automation underpinned by advancement in artificial intelligence, machine learning and the Internet of Things, to evolve from the current age of digital transformation.
Five megatrends driving changes within the mobile eco-system were identified:
- A geographic shift in mobile user growth to predominantly Asian markets
- The internet is mobile and the mobile is internet: Mobile internet has long surpassed that of fixed broadband with penetration rates expected to reach 60% by 2020. Smartphones will be the only access point for many.
- Connected devices will be built as standard into the home and workplace. Three devices for each person will replace the current average of 1.5.
- The platform economy will create a new digital market place for an even wider range of products and services.
- And finally, ‘open’ is now moving down to the network level with new players and partnerships driving improvements in network deployment, access and performance.